Whew! I made it to the Finish Line of Beachbody’s Ultimate Reset 21-Day Cleanse. Go me! In the 21 days I lost six pounds and to my great surprise, I shed over an inch off my upper thighs and a whole inch off my mid-thighs. I was pretty happy with the size of my legs prior to the Reset, but my pants all fit so much better and I’m loving the longer/leaner look. In a few days I should have my lab results back, so I’ll be able to report any improvements on my morning glucose as well as my cholesterol levels.
So, what do I think? How do I feel? What major or minor changes have I noted? Here are my thoughts–the good, the bad, and the ugly.
First, I have to say, I love the visual changes in my body. I’m so glad I took pictures to track my physical transformation. The cleanse is not intended as a weight-loss tool, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m sure glad about the physical changes that took place.
On to the gritty…
The cleanse was tougher than I thought it would be. I knew that many people had experienced headaches and aches during the first week’s detoxification phase, but I didn’t think, given that I eat so clean, that I’d be hit so hard with both from the get-go. Luckily, the aches and pains didn’t last past days 3 or 4.
On day 5 or so I began to feel like my usual self. What a relief. Feeling fatigued and just plain out of it for the first few days really made me appreciate my usual state of well-being. I realized that our health is truly our greatest asset and blessing.
Many people going through the cleanse, including my customers, speak of amazing sleep and notably increased energy levels. I kept waiting for this to happen for me, but the truth is, as the days went by, I felt more tired and cranky. My fatigue was due, I think, in part to the fact that for some reason I just wasn’t getting restful sleep. I’m still sleeping an hour less than prior to the cleanse, from my previous 7 hours of sleep down to six. It could very well be that my body needs less sleep now because it is more efficient. However, I’m not waking up more rested than prior to the cleanse. That, I admit, has been frustrating. But again, I seem to be in the minority with this one. It just goes to show that we are all different and we just don’t know how our bodies are going to respond.
Around day 15 or so I officially felt ready for the cleanse to be over. Even though the food was delicious and I enjoyed making my meals, I felt tired, hungry, and felt restricted. That said, eating more of the allowed foods (more veggies and fruit, for example) was an option, but what I truly missed and hungered for were my oatmeal and brown rice, along with the freedom to make my own choices. I felt that I had been thrown in jail and I wanted to be released! Because I didn’t experience the increased energy and restful sleep that so many people spoke about, I had a hard time reminding myself why I was doing this. This is where FAITH came in. I had to have faith that the detoxification process was taking place even though I wasn’t feeling all that awesome. Even though my weekly pictures were great, I did ask myself at certain points, why the heck am I doing this? I kept telling myself, too, it’s only 21 days. I can do this. To be completely honest, had I not had a support group and people to be accountable to, I may had said “screw this!” My advice for folks considering the cleanse, make sure you have support. You’ll need it!
Reaching the finish line was a struggle, but I did it and I’m glad I made it. Even though the actual process was less than fun–in fact, I was close to miserable for about a week–here are some of the very positive things that came out of it for me:
- I look awesome! I never would have thought that I could achieve that transformation in just 21 days of clean eating and exercise. I am thoroughly impressed.
- It felt great to rest for 21 days, believe it or not. I feel excited and ready to work out again. For those of you who are fearful that you’ll back track on your progress by completing the cleanse, just take a look at my pictures. Sometimes you need to slow down to get more results! My hope is that I’ll be able to do less and get more results. To be determined. Stay tuned for this!
- My entire house and life seem to have gotten really organized and streamlined! Something about the Reset made me reorganize all my kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, finances, and life! This process of nesting and reorganizing started very early on. As my body got in order, so did the rest of my life! I don’t quite get it, but I’ll take it.
- I’m less anxious now that I think about it. I don’t feel like I have to Do!Do!Do! The cleanse forced me to slow down because I simply didn’t have the energy to go hard. Others have noted that I’m calmer or to quote one friend, I’m “chill as hell.” I’ll take it.
- This is probably my favorite change or habit: Prior to the cleanse I hardly ever experimented with recipes. Now I look forward to spending time in the kitchen and making my meals taste delicious and nutritious.
I don’t want to give the false impression that the Beachbody Ultimate Reset Cleanse is a walk in the park. It certainly wasn’t for me. I’m glad I did it and I’m glad it’s over. Now it’s time to take the positive lessons and habits that I gained over the past few weeks and go onward and upward.
Only you can decide if the cleanse is right for you and what you need in your life. If you decide to purchase it from my website and do not currently have a Beachbody coach, I will become your free coach and you will be part of my closed Reset Support Group on Facebook..
Wishing you an awesome journey,
Barbie Decker, PhD